St. Peter's Anglican Church made its beginnings through the work and interest of Reverend William Collison in 1878 visiting the Gitksan people of Kitegas. In 1880 he returned by canoe from Metlakatla near the mouth of the Skeena River to establish a mission at the convergence of the Bulkley and Skeena Rivers. St. Peter's Church was built by Edward Stephenson, the church missionary society catechist and lay reader at Kitegas. The Gitksan people of Gitanmaax and the settlers of Hazelton built the church with local lumber. The church officially opened on October 4, 1990. St. Peter's Church is the oldest building in Hazelton. The Church Hall which was replaced in 1992, due to deterioration, was the first Indian Day School in British Columbia. Built in 1889, the church stands beside the Skeena River.